Extreme Networks (NASDAQ:EXTR) has announced six new 802.11ax (WiFi 6) indoor, outdoor and stadium WiFi access points (APs) and a new family of multi-rate gigabit switches. Products are expected to be generally available in April.
ExtremeMobility 500 series 802.11ax APs, part of Extreme's Smart OmniEdge solution, are designed for most dense, challenging environments and to deliver four times greater capacity than 802.11ac devices.
Extreme's stadium WiFi access points are built to work with the unique physical characteristics of stadiums and other large public venues. The series includes options for under-seat and overhead mounting, as well as remote antennae programmability.
- Machine learning to monitor and learn the behavior of 802.11ax RF networks. With ExtremeAI for Smart OmniEdge, customers can apply artificial intelligence (AI) to auto-tune the network for optimum performance.
- Customers can select from three modes of software-programmable radios to optimize for 5 GHz coverage and more efficiently support all types of devices, without requiring cable retrofits. An integrated Bluetooth radio is intended to improve guest engagement analytics, locationing, and IoT connectivity.
- Built-in WPA3 WiFi security is intended to boost cryptographic strength for 802.11ax networks transmitting sensitive data.
- A combination of a new ExtremeSwitching X465 stackable multi-rate gigabit Ethernet switch with MACsec and 60/90W PoE is intended to let 802.11ax customers use Extreme Fabric Connect to extend network security and management across a unified wired and wireless network. The X465 is available in six different models for connecting a range of edge access devices.
- Optional integration with ExtremeAnalytics, ExtremeLocation and ExtremeGuest applications is intended to help customers better manage connections and provide visibility into application usage trends. It can also be deployed with Extreme AirDefense, a wireless intrusion prevention system.
Mike Leibovitz, senior director of product management and strategy at Extreme Networks, said: "Our customers are testing the limits of today's WiFi standards daily at football games, eSports tournaments, emergency rooms, retail shops, college campuses and more. And if there is a failure - if they get it wrong - it won't just be providing a poor experience; they'll lose customers. As a WiFi solutions provider for 28 NFL stadiums, as well as numerous collegiate and pro sports venues, Extreme is an expert in solving the challenging issues of dense, outdoor networking. In fact, we are the first to offer 802.11ax access points that are purpose-built for stadium environments, and we've applied those learnings across our 802.11ax family to empower businesses of all kinds to get ahead of the WiFi curve and support more users, and more devices, more efficiently."
Extreme will be showcasing its 802.11ax technology at HIMSS 2019 in Orlando, FL, and at Mobile World Congress in Barcelona.