Cable Still King ... for Now
- The global pay TV market, including cable, satellite, and telco IPTV video services, totaled $261 billion in 2011 and is forecast to grow to $371 billion by 2016.
- North America is again the highest-value video market due to high ARPU, but Latin America and Asia are gaining ground as a result of expanding subscriber bases.
- DirecTV and Comcast remain the global market leaders for pay TV revenue and subscribers.
- DirecTV enjoys the highest ARPU due to the high take rate of its value-added services and premium content such as the NFL Sunday Ticket.
- Comcast is the global pay TV subscriber leader, with more 22 million subscribers in 2011.
- In 2011, the top 20 pay TV revenue leaders accounted for 50% of the revenue, while the top 20 subscriber leaders represented just 30% of subscribers.