Applicable to a wide variety of PON infrastructures, including BPON, EPON, GPON, 10G-EPON, XG-PON, XGS-PON, and video, the handheld instrument automatically detects up to five wavelengths and measures power in a few seconds, says the company.
The power meter also has a visual aid to help technicians choose the right testing location.
Features of the FlowScout PON Optical Power Meter include:
- Automatic detection of multiple wavelengths with no setup required
- Simultaneous detection and measurement of upstream and downstream GPON, XGS-PON, and video signals
- Evaluation and display of pass/fail status relative to expected min/max signal levels
- Optional field-swappable Port Saver connector adapters
- A large daylight-viewable color touchscreen display
- Rugged and water resistant IP54 rating
- Rechargeable Li-Polymer battery.
“FTTx/PON has become the technology of choice to meet the exploding bandwidth needs for homes, businesses and 5G backhaul. As telcos, cable operators and rural networks around the world deploy 10G PONs, and with XGS-PON leading the pack, AFL provides a variety of testing tools to build, activate and troubleshoot PON networks,” commented Al Swanson, general manager of AFL’s equipment business. “FlowScout becomes the latest addition to our wide variety of FTTx tools in our portfolio.”
“FlowScout is the easiest way to verify PON network power levels,” added Arun Jain, director of product marketing for AFL. “All a technician has to do is plug in the fiber and it detects multiple wavelengths automatically. No setup is required, no need for referencing and no buttons to press. It is completely automated.”
FlowScout also has received a score of 4.0 in the 2021 Lightwave Innovation Reviews from sister site Lightwave. Commented one judge, “Not just another tester! It's a ‘plug and play’ tester! This should help speed up the testing process and eliminate a lot of confusion in the field."