Obama Signs Tech Access Bill
President Obama has signed into law the 21st Century Communications and Video Accessibility Act. The legislation requires smart phones, TV programs and other modern communications technologies to be accessible to people with vision or hearing loss. Specifically,...
* Require mobile phone companies to make web browsers, text messaging, and e-mail on smart phones fully accessible
* Restore and expand requirements for video description of TV programs, in addition to requiring cable companies to make their program guides and selection menus accessible to people with vision loss
* Provide people with vision loss access to emergency broadcast information
* Provide $10 million in funding each year for assistive technology for deaf-blind individuals
* Ensure that Internet-enabled mobile phones are hearing-aid compatible