Apps A-Go-Go: Weekly Use in 60% of Smart TVs
Applications have dominated the smartphone and tablet worlds for some time, but with the advent of "smart TVs," consumers are now rapidly adopting online TV applications that are integrated into their connected TVs. A new In-Stat research survey estimates that m...
Other survey findings indicate:
- Shipments of connected TVs with integrated TV applications will grow by an average 36% over the next five years.
- 22% of U.S. broadband households already own an HDTV with integrated TV apps.
- TV apps are not the primary reason for purchasing connected TVs.
- Adoption of online video streaming services, such as Netflix, does not increase the propensity to purchase online video content.
- The viewing of DVR recorded TV programming does not lead to the adoption of free VOD services from a pay TV operator.
- Consumers favoring subscriptions to both pay TV and online video services rose from 18% to 30% during 2010, contributing to the continued growth of Netflix.