Comcast today announced it has implemented increased speeds for its highest Xfinity Internet speed tier, Gigabit Pro, that will provide an extra performance boost for its customers across Oregon/SW Washington. Effective immediately in the service region, Comcast Gigabit Pro speeds will increase from 2 gigabits-per-second (Gbps) upload and download speeds to 3 Gbps symmetrical speeds.
Matt Quantz, Vice President of Xfinity Residential Marketing for Comcast in Oregon/SW Washington, commented, “At Comcast we understand that high speed Internet connectivity is always top of mind for students, families and others who are still navigating the pandemic. Our commitment to continuous Internet innovation – including speed increases and capacity and reliability enhancements – continues to make our customers’ connectivity experience better than it has ever been before. This speed increase follows Comcast’s announcement in April of this year, of increased Internet speeds for customers. In addition, the company has continued to make progress toward the 10G (gigabits-per-second or Gbps) industry initiative, which leverages new standards and technology to dramatically increase speeds."
Comcast said its larger nationwide Xfinity Gigabit network is now set to also deliver speeds up to 3 Gbps to residential customers. The operator says its Gigabit Pro offering uses enterprise-grade, fiber-based Ethernet technology to make it possible for Xfinity Internet customers to receive symmetrical multi-gigabit speeds to stream or game in 4K in multiple rooms throughout a home. Over the last decade, the company notes it "has invested nearly $30 billion to build an expansive, fiber-dense network that carries an immense amount of traffic and has demonstrated extraordinary performance throughout the pandemic. Comcast has doubled network capacity every 2.5 years to stay well ahead of demand and remains committed to investing in increased Internet connectivity," added a company statement.
Via the operator's fiber-dense network, Comcast notes its Xfinity Internet customers enjoy the benefits of:
- Superior WiFi coverage – WiFi coverage with the xFi Advanced Gateway that is WiFi 6-capable and can deliver speeds faster than a gig, and xFi Pod, which together creates a mesh network that reaches every corner of the home.
- Control connected devices – Using the Xfinity app, customers who lease an xFi Gateway have total control of their home network; manage device access, set parental controls, and pause WiFi.
- Advanced cybersecurity protection – xFi Advanced Security helps to protect all connected devices at the gateway level from malware and other cyber security threats.
- 4K streaming device with voice search – Xfinity Flex, a 4K streaming device with an award-winning voice remote to seamlessly watch and search for content from the Xfinity Stream app, Peacock, Netflix, Hulu, Prime, and other popular streaming services.
- Xfinity Mobile – Xfinity Internet customers can get Xfinity Mobile, which combines the operator's 5G network with the power to auto-connect to millions of Xfinity WiFi hotspots across the country. Starting at $45 for one line of 5G unlimited data, unlimited pricing for Xfinity Mobile is $80 for two lines, $100 for three lines, and $120 for four lines ($30 per line).
- Peacock Premium and thousands of hours of free content – Peacock, NBCUniversal’s streaming service, delivering originals, libraries of hit TV shows like “The Office” and “Parks and Recreation,” plus films from Universal Pictures, Focus Features, DreamWorks Animation, Illumination and Hollywood’s biggest studios.