- Ensuring minimum service standards for voice and broadband
- Changing Lifeline eligibility administration from a service provider responsibility to a neutral third party administrator
- Increasing competition among providers on price and service offerings
- Requiring providers to retain documentation regarding the eligibility of their Lifeline customers to facilitate oversight and audits
- Extending all record retention requirements from three to 10 years
- Making key performance data easily available to the public
The FCC has been taking a keener interest in Internet topics lately. Earlier this month, the Commission announced plans to start keeping a closer eye on Internet service providers' privacy practices, and it faces a court challenge over its Open Internet Order issued in February.